On Road Media
We are delighted to be assisting the Award Winning Charity ‘On Road Media’ in their search for a Voluntary Treasurer to join their board.
They are looking for someone who would be excited to work with a small and innovative charity and who share their values and enthusiasm for improving media coverage of groups that are misrepresented.
You’d be joining an already incredibly engaged board of a growing organisation. Trustees take ultimate responsibility for the work that the organisation does, and the way in which it spends money, to achieve its aims.
About On Road
On Road Media is an award-winning charity that tackles social problems by improving media coverage of misrepresented groups and issues. They work towards long term narrative change by informing everything they do with research that tells which stories are most effective to change how people think and feel about issues.
They support people with first-hand experience of the issues to do safer, more strategic media work, whether in front of the camera or behind the scenes, bringing them together with the media on “interactions” to inspire fresh and nuanced content with a focus on popular culture.
Projects include Talking About Poverty, Climate Stories That Work, Angles: A Different Take on Sexual and Domestic Abuse”, All About Trans, and Media Movers which supports young people with migrant backgrounds. They have also recently begun work on a project improving communications of children’s palliative care.
They have done ground breaking work, such as working with the soaps Eastenders and Emmerdale to introduce their first transgender characters, supporting the framing of climate communications with the Royal Foundation and Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Earthshot Prize, and last year they created the Better Stories guide which is a practical guide for the sector and individuals on how to support people to do safe, strategic and effective media interviews.
They are committed to providing equal opportunities for everyone regardless of their background or age. They are particularly keen to receive applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic people; people with disabilities (visible and invisible, mental and physical); people who identify as being LGBTQIA; and people who identify as working-class or have done so in the past.
There are so many of the great reasons to join our board, but instead here’s what one of their current trustees, Bisi Alimi, has to say:
“Before becoming co-chair of On Road Media’s board of trustees, I served on the board for more than three years. Over this time, I have learnt with keen interest what strategic communication is about and witnessed the power of narrative framing to shape hearts and minds on some of the most critical issues of our time.
As the world faces the ever-growing challenges of fake news and misinformation, Covid-19 and the continuous demonization of the “other”, the need for On Road Media’s work is more significant than ever before.”
They estimate the equivalent of 5 hours’ time commitment per month. The full Board meets once each quarter for an average of 2 hours.
Outside of these meetings the CEO will liaise with Board members to ensure they are kept up to date with developments and to consult on particular areas of expertise. As Treasurer, the CEO may organise more structured meetings to discuss specific matters directly.
Board members may also be asked to represent On Road at meetings with potential funders or influencers, or to attend or work alongside staff at events and receptions.
Terms of Office
Trustees stand for terms of three years, with the chance to be re-elected for a further two consecutive terms of three years (maximum term is nine years). Trustees are able to resign before the end of their set term. The trustee will need to put their resignation in writing, and give a month’s notice
Specific Treasurer Responsibilities
- Bring significant professional experience as an accountant or treasurer and be sympathetic to the operations and working conditions of a small charity.
- Liaise with the finance team and chief executive and co-present accounts and financial statements at Board meetings.
- Work with the Board to ensure appropriate financial systems and controls are in place.
- Record of supporting a charity/non-profit organisation, demonstrable understanding of the challenges faced by small charities upscaling their work in the current climate.
- Bringing an established network of contacts who may support their fundraising work.
- Have an understanding of the Charity Commission’s laws and regulations.
General Responsibilities and Tasks of the Board
- An understanding of and commitment to the values of On Road, and its vision and mission statements.
- Ensure the operational plan and budget reflect the agreed strategic direction and are appropriate.
- To hold the Chief Executive accountable for the achievement of agreed targets and provide them with regular, constructive feedback on both management and overall achievement.
- Support the CEO when requested, sharing expertise, as a member of a working group or in other appropriate ways.
- Agree the charity’s policies and ensure they will assist in the achievement of the strategic and operational plans.
- Ensure the charity has satisfactory financial control systems and procedures in place, and to review the level of risk annually.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship and to reflect annually on the Board’s performance and your own performance as a Trustee.
- Attend quarterly Board meetings, read relevant papers and be prepared to make a contribution, working with fellow Board members as a team.
- Safeguard On Road’s reputation, and other intangible assets. Be prepared to act as a spokesperson for On Road, attending events as an ambassador for On Road, to network and promote the work of the organisation.
- Assist with fundraising by speaking, networking and otherwise seeking business development opportunities in conjunction with the CEO.
Click this link to apply TREASURER APPLICATION
Attach your CV and a covering letter, explaining why you are interested in this position to Amy Pearce at On Road Media.
For more details follow this link: https://www.onroadmedia.org.uk/2021/04/28/treasurer-charity-trustee-for-narrative-change-organisation/
At The Treasury Recruitment Company, we believe we should support charities when we have the expertise i.e. in this instance to find a Treasurer.
We will not charge a fee for this assignment as we want to support the work On Road Media do.