We’ve got another exciting episode of the Treasury Career Corner podcast ready for you to dive into and in this episode, I’m joined by Dean Byrne, the Group Treasurer at JLT Group.
JLT Group (Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc) is a British multinational corporation that has its headquarters in London, England. It provides insurance, reinsurance, employment benefits advice and brokerage services, and it is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Dean is a career-long treasurer with experience in a number of sectors including manufacturing, shipping, logistics, and financial services. He has particular experience of treasury department start-up situations, management of bank relationships, including significant funding and refinancing and the structuring and implementation of currency risk and global cash management programmes.
He has also worked closely with various tax departments in the structuring and implementation of international tax structures. Additional experience includes the review and restructuring of group insurance and risk control programmes including the management of group insurance brokers.
On the podcast we discussed…
- How Dean got started in Treasury at The London Clearing House
- A behind-the-scenes look into Dean’s various treasury roles throughout his career including Chloride Group plc, moving to EAC Container Lines as Divisional Treasurer and working as Group Treasurer at Kidde plc, etc.
- Why Treasury should be viewed less as an isolated function and more like a support system to the business that can add real value
- An insight into Dean’s current role as Group Treasurer at JLT
- How JLT attracts new people to the business
- Challenges that the recruitment team at JLT faces when trying to attract the right people to the team
- The ideal “work ethos” of a candidate pursuing a treasury role with JLT and similar companies
- Dean shares his views on where he sees the treasury industry going next
- Dean’s advice for people who want to follow his career path/success
- The importance of patience when searching for the right treasury role
- The benefits of having a broad skills base and flexibility rather than narrow specialisms
- Much more!
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show PLEASE GIVE US A RATING HERE