Being a leader in treasury is a challenge to say the least. But, it also comes with a great deal of job satisfaction and fulfilment. Joel Campbell, the Vice President, Treasurer & Chief Risk Officer at H&R Block, joins me on this episode of the Treasury Career Corner Podcast to talk about his career, recruiting candidates and what it takes to be in a leadership role within the industry.
Joel currently leads Block’s global Treasury and Risk Management functions with primary responsibility for capital structure strategy, treasury operations, bank, rating agency, and debt investor relations, along with the company’s Insurance & Risk and Enterprise Risk Management functions.
Joel joined H&R Block from The Western Union Company, where he was Vice President & Assistant Treasurer leading teams responsible for capital management, banking, insurance and risk management, and WU’s pension investments.
Prior to his role at Western Union, Joel served as Vice President & Assistant Treasurer with increasing responsibilities at both Ameriprise Financial and The Travelers Companies.
He holds an M.B.A. in Finance from the University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management, a B.A. in Accounting from Cedarville University, and the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation.
On the podcast we discussed…
- The benefits of working in different international markets and learning about foreign exchange
- Understanding debt and equity instruments across jurisdictions on an international scale
- How to give your team strategic direction rather than micromanaging them
- How enhanced automaton is expected to impact the treasury industry in the future
- Advice for anyone going into their first leadership role
- The importance of taking calculated risks as a treasurer and how it can help you climb up the treasury career ladder
If you’d like to get in touch with Joel, you can connect with him via his LinkedIn profile.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show please rate and review us on whatever podcast app you listen to us on, for iTunes click here!