My guest on this episode of the Treasury Career Corner podcast is Adam Richford, the Group Treasurer at Renewi plc. Adam began his career with EY, helping to build the turnaround and working capital management practice before joining Energis, a fallen-angel telco, where he had his first line-responsibility for treasury. This was then followed by a stint at a Private Equity Firm, Kelso Place Asset Management.
Adam then went on to join GE Capital as their Treasurer for the UK Real Estate business, his first role as a dedicated treasury professional. Over the following 9 years at GE, he provided treasury support for more than 20 billion pounds worth of acquisition, disposals, and integration of assets, portfolios and loan books, leading the European treasury function.
When GE resized the capital business, he joined Gala Coral Group, a high-leveraged private equity business. This was his first Group Treasurer position, supporting the strategic exit plans including the merger between Coral and Ladbrokes. This experience proved invaluable when, following Gala Coral, Adam joined Renewi as Group Treasurer, working towards the reverse takeover of its closest competitor, Van Gansewinkel Group. Post merger his team redesigned the Treasury function and created a completely Green funding.
On the podcast we discussed…
- Adam gives an insightful overview of his previous job roles and what they entailed
- What initially attracted Adam to treasury
- The structure of the treasury team at GE Capital
- Finding work/life balance while studying for the MCT
- How the structure of treasury has changed and adapted since Adam first joined
- The existing role that automation plays within the treasury industry
- Adam talks about his ethos behind treasury recruitment
- Challenges that Adam has faced in his current role as Group Treasurer at Renewi plc
- The importance of being a supportive leader to your team
- How to manage a treasury team remotely
- Adam reveals what he looks for when recruiting for a new treasury team member
- Adam shares his advice for someone who aspires to become a Group Treasurer
If you would like to connect with Adam, you can reach out to him via his LinkedIn profile.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here: (treasuryrecruitment.com/jobs). Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show please rate and review us on whatever podcast app you listen to us on, for iTunes click here!