We have a very special guest the Treasury Career Corner podcast this week, and that’s none other than Marc Vandiepenbeeck, Vice President & Assistant Treasurer at Johnson Controls.
Mr Vandiepenbeeck joined Johnson Controls in 2005 and currently manages the Company’s capital markets, global liquidity, asset management (retirement plans), strategic banking relationships, and SEC reporting for treasury operations. In this role, he supports the JCI regional treasury centres in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. Prior to his current position, Mr Vandiepenbeeck worked in regional treasury centres in Hong Kong, Brussels and Milwaukee.
In 2009, Mr Vandiepenbeeck cofounded Whitewater Analytics, a software as a service Fintech Company that provides foreign exchange exposure management services for global companies. Mr Vandiepenbeeck still serves on the executive team as Managing Partner where he helps oversee the business development aspects of the Company.
Before joining Johnson Controls, Mr Vandiepenbeeck was a Senior Auditor for Pricewaterhouse Coopers in Brussels, Belgium where he was responsible for the corporate finance, real estate and treasury assignments. From 2000 through 2003, Mr Vandiepenbeeck worked in the corporate development group of Volcano Therapeutics Inc., a global leader in medical diagnostic instrumentation.
Mr Vandiepenbeeck received a bachelor’s degree in Engineering Management from the University Libre of Brussels and a master’s degree in Science of Management from Solvay School of Economics.
Marc and his wife, Amy, live in Whitefish Bay (Wisconsin) where they raise their twin daughters.
On the podcast we discussed:
- Marc explains the early stages of his career and why he decided to move from a sales role to an auditing role
- Marc talks about what it’s been like working with Johnson Controls and how his career has grown
- What it was like for Marc to work in Johnson Controls’ Belgium office and how his international experiences shaped his career
- Cultural differences and how regions view treasury differently
- What makes an employee want to stay with the same company for over a decade
- Managing treasury teams and the importance of communication
- Marc discusses the structure of the treasury team at Johnson Controls
- The importance of being willing to learn as a treasurer
- What makes a candidate for a treasury role stand out from the competition
- Why treasury qualifications matter if you want to pursue a career within the treasury industry
- Why a manager must be able to provide sufficient training for their team
- The struggles of recruiting a good, loyal and hard-working team
- How technology will impact the role of treasurers in the future
- Marc shares career advice for anyone seeking to pursue a similar career path
- Why you should always say “yes” to opportunities that present themselves to you
- Much, much more!
If you’d like to get in touch with Marc, you can reach out to him via his LinkedIn profile.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here.
If you’re enjoying the show PLEASE GIVE US A RATING HERE