Many of you may be interested in pursuing a career within the Treasury industry, so I thought who better to have on the show than Gregg Koser, Treasurer at Vanquis Bank.
Gregg is an experienced Group Treasurer with a demonstrated history of working in the financial services industry mostly within large multi-nationals, including VC-funded entities, and he has extensive skills in Banking, Funding, Accounting and FX Risk Management. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – College of Business with a BSc in Finance and an MBA from Richmond College, London.
He currently works as Treasurer at Vanquis Bank, which is a subsidiary of the Provident Financial Group, a lender established in 1880 with a history of operating in the home credit market. They were established as the credit card issuing arm of the Provident Financial Group in 2002. Over the past 16 years, they have grown from a business run by only two people, to a thriving bank with over 1,600 colleagues in three locations across the UK in London, Chatham and Bradford.
On the podcast we discussed:
- An insight into Gregg’s previous roles at companies such as Vantico, LCH Clearnet, Experis, Markadis Ltd and Wonga
- What it was like for Gregg to transition from corporate to financial services
- Gregg’s existing role as Treasurer at Vanquis and why he enjoys working there
- Dealing with the pressures of being FCA or PRA regulates on his role as a Treasurer
- The ways that Treasury has become much more strategic over recent years
- The evolution of Treasury from being a “back office operation” to one of the main bloodlines of any business
- How to improve your chances of getting a job within Treasury that pays up to £100k and above
- What Gregg looks for when recruiting
- The importance of being self-sufficient if you want to pursue a successful Treasury career
- Why written and oral communication skills are vital in Treasury
- How Gregg assesses candidate’s resilience when interviewing potential new employees
- Finding the value and lesson in every failure and why it’s important to learn from your mistakes
- How to craft an ‘elevator pitch’ employers can’t say no to
- Gregg’s prediction for the future of the Treasury industry in relation to Brexit
- Gregg shares his advice for someone seeking employment in Treasury
Would you like to get in touch with Gregg? Connect with him via his LinkedIn profile.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show PLEASE GIVE US A RATING HERE