On this episode of the Treasury Career Corner Podcast, I speak to Senne Van Nieuwenborgh, Senior Vice President, Treasury at SES Satellites. He made the move from management consulting into treasury and quickly progressed up the treasury career, taking roles in diverse industries, from mining to metals to space!
SES are based in Betzdorf, Luxembourg and are a world-leading satellite operator. They also have more than 50 satellites in Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO) and 20 in Medium Earth Orbit (MEO).
They focus on value-added, end-to-end solutions in two key business units: SES Video and SES Networks. The company also provides satellite communication services to broadcasters, content and internet service providers, mobile and fixed network operators, governments and institutions.
Founded in 1985 as Société Européenne des Satellites, the company was renamed SES Global in 2001 and has been simply “SES” since 2006.
Senne started off studying law before starting work as a management consultant at Anderson Consulting (now Accenture). An opportunity came up to join Dow Chemical. He instantly clicked with the people and the company and spent the next 7 years moving around the company acquiring the technical skill-set that got him headhunted for Nyrstar. Senne has some great lessons for those starting out or for those looking to progress up the treasury career ladder. I’m delighted to welcome Senne onto The Treasury Career Corner podcast this week to share his insight.
On the podcast we discussed…
- Senne’s time in consulting and why he made the move into treasury at Dow Chemical
- The benefits of working for a large company which is focussed on people
- How Senne made the jump from Treasury Manager for EMEA to Group Treasurer of a publicly listed company
- The difference between working for a mining company to working for a space company
- The importance of being humble, building trust and connections in a new senior role
- Why it’s important to have not just technical skills, but people skills when you move further up the ladder
Would you like to get in touch with Senne? If so, you can connect with him via his LinkedIn profile.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show please rate and review us on whatever podcast app you listen to us on, for Apple Podcasts click here!