On this episode of the Treasury Career Corner podcast, I’m pleased to be joined by Anthony Buchanan, the Treasurer at Asahi Breweries Europe Ltd.
Anthony has over 20 years’ experience in various FMCG Treasury roles and has succeeded in managing teams through and post periods of transition. Some of his specialities include commodity and foreign exchange risk management, financial supply chain solutions, monetising bank relationships, interest rate exposure management, and so much more.
Established in April 2017, Asahi Breweries Europe Ltd are the European wing of Asahi Group Holdings, a traditional Japanese producer of beer, whisky and a wide range of food products, with a rich history traced back to 1889.
In the heart of Europe, they are custodians of over 50 well-established and admired local brands. They build on hundreds of years of craftsmanship and brewing traditions. They gave the world the grandfather of the whole lager beer category, and they are extremely proud that they still brew their Pilsner Urquell the same way as in 1842.
They run 15 breweries, the oldest one dating back to 1615, and brew 43 million hectolitres of beer every year. Their beers are enjoyed around the world. None of the above would be possible without their team of 9,000 great professionals, who are passionate about what they do.
On the podcast we discussed…
- Anthony’s first introduction to treasury and how he progressed through his career
- Why it’s so important to have strong treasury teams
- A few of Anthony’s key takeaways from different roles throughout his career
- Why treasurers must be great relationship builders
- How Anthony and the Asahi team built the treasury department and structures, etc. from scratch
- Why you need diverse skills as a Treasurer
- Challenges the Asahi treasury team have faced in light of COVID-19
- How Anthony sees treasury evolving and other areas that treasurers can provide real value
- Anthony shares his top tips for anyone who wants to build a successful treasury career
If you’d like to get in touch with Anthony, you can connect with him on LinkedIn.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here
Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show please rate and review us on whatever podcast app you listen to us on, for Apple Podcasts click here!