Martijn van Steenpaal, the Vice President – Treasurer at Darling Ingredients Inc., joins the Treasury Career Corner podcast to talk about his journey from European college student to Vice President of a United States-based company.
Martijn shares the most significant transitions he’s made in his career so far and how each step has taken him further up the treasury ladder – and across the pond. We touched on the different treasury approaches across the two continents and how historical events have shaped the financial regulations in place in the United States today.
Darling Ingredients is a world leader in converting edible and inedible fats and proteins into a wide range of organic ingredients and specialty products for customers in the pharmaceutical, food, pet food, feed, technical, fuel, bioenergy, and fertilizer industries.
As a global sustainable practice model for over 135 years, their international network of over 200 locations spans five continents, offering a diverse portfolio of products and services. Their approximately 10,000 employees are dedicated to developing sustainable solutions for a growing global population. Headquartered in Irving, Texas, and with an international head office in Son, The Netherlands, they are the only publicly-traded company in their industry (NYSE/DAR).
On the podcast, we discussed…
- How Martijn’s treasury career started by coincidence
- Martijn’s “sweet” start in corporate treasury
- The drive for professional development that furthered Martijn’s career
- How fraudulent historical activities shaped corporate regulations in the United States
- The treasurer whose influence was instrumental to Martijn’s career
- How a tough acquisition opened up opportunities for Martijn’s treasury department
- The differences between the United States and a European approach to treasury
- Martijn’s advice and recommendations for aspiring treasurers
You can get in touch with Martijn by connecting with him on LinkedIn.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show please rate and review us on whatever podcast app you listen to us on, for Apple Podcasts click here!