Creating a standout LinkedIn Profile
Step 3 – Customise Your URL
Right so another top tip is to customise your URL.
This is important to be able to help people find you.
If you think there are 500 million LinkedIn users now with 2 users joining every second (!!) finding the person you’re looking for could be a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack.
The default URL is generally a combination of name and several numbers, yuk.
The ideal URL would be to shorten that to your first name and last name and maybe with a reference to you and your specialism
If you find that has already been taken, look for another memorable combination.
Perhaps including a middle name or initial OR maybe first name, surname followed by the word Treasury.
In my case, I made mine https://www.linkedin.com/in/mrtreasury/
Both for Mike Richards Treasury and also the added benefit of MR Treasury ?
It takes seconds and really will make a huge difference.
How to change your URL
To change your public profile URL:
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click View profile.
- Click Edit public profile & URL in the right rail.
- You’ll be redirected to the Public profile settings
- Under Edit your custom URL in the right rail, click the Edit icon next to your public profile URL.
- It’ll be an address that looks like linkedin.com/in/yourname.
- Type the last part of your new custom URL in the text box.
- Click Save.