In this week’s show, I am joined by Shawn McCarthy, the former Head of Treasury at Deliveroo, to talk about her career as a Treasury Consultant. We discuss her approach to solving treasury problems for a variety of companies in the UK and US and discussed why she prefers interim over permanent appointments. We also touched upon what qualities she believes makes a treasury superstar.
Shawn McCarthy has been a corporate treasurer and treasury consultant for 25+ years and has operated Treasury Consulting Intl. Ltd since 2016. Her previous role was working for Deliveroo, a fast-food restaurant delivery service that saw revenue growth of over 650% year on year.
During her career, Shawn has held various senior treasury management roles in the UK and overseas. She has worked with a variety of large and international businesses from plc’s, to law firms to private equity spin-offs. Some of her clients have included the Compass Group, Willis Group, The Carlyle Group plc, and KPMG Treasury Consulting. As a consultant, Shawn has been instrumental in establishing new treasury functions at six companies, including two international law firms.
On the podcast we discussed…
- How Shawn discovered the world of treasury
- Why Shawn is drawn to more interim projects
- Shawn’s checklist for starting up a treasury system from scratch
- What themes Shawn sees when she goes in to consult
- Shawn’s opinions on current TMS (treasury management system) providers
- How Shawn works with struggling treasurers and the superstars
- What top things Shawn looks for when reviewing a CV to find replacements for her interim roles or treasury juniors
You can get in touch with Shawn by connecting with her on LinkedIn.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show please rate and review us on whatever podcast app you listen to us on, for Apple Podcasts click here!