We’re shaping the treasury space and pushing boundaries in this episode of the Treasury Career Corner podcast, where I interview a good friend of mine, Jan-Martin Nufer. Jan-Martin is the Director of Treasury & Funding at Borealis Group, a plastics, chemicals and fertilisers company based in Vienna.
For nearly 25 years, Jan-Martin has been working in finance gaining international experience in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, USA, France, the Middle East and Africa. Jan-Martin’s experience ranges from start-ups to large multinational. He has worked in a range of industries including banking, financial advisory, health, telecommunications, airlines, large conglomerates and petrochemicals, as well as in most fields within finance.
With all of his experience in treasury, I was keen to talk to Jan-Martin about his career and his advice for someone who wants to work in a similar role within treasury. It’s a fantastic discussion and one that I know you’re going to enjoy, so grab your headphones and have a listen!
On the podcast we discussed…
- Jan-Martin’s experience as a trained banker and how he transitioned from banking to treasury
- Understanding that you can’t fully plan or prepare for a career in treasury because a large part of it is about seizing opportunities
- Jan-Martin’s various treasury roles and responsibilities throughout his career
- Why it’s so important to have a flexible work environment that allows you to put the hedges and risk mitigation in place that the company needs
- Jan-Martin’s move from Swiss International Airlines to Borealis
- The importance of being able to push the boundaries of your own remit in terms of what treasury constitutes
- How to manage a treasury department team
- How Jan-Martin has shaped the treasury space within Borealis
- The inner workings and responsibilities of a Group Financial Risk Department
- What Jan-Martin enjoys most about working in treasury
- Why treasury should be seen as the heart of a company and an insight into the “fun” side of treasury
- The unique possibility in treasury to combine finance roles with an external role such as negotiating financing contracts and roadshows etc.
- The role of technology within technology regarding digitalisation, robotics, platforms and systems
- What employers look for in CV’s they receive from recruitment companies
- What personality traits make a candidate stand out to a potential employer
- Understanding that the treasury culture is always changing and that no two companies are the same
- Preparing for the future of treasury
- Much more!
Are you enjoying the podcast? Don’t forget to hit subscribe on your favourite podcast app to keep up with new episodes of the Treasury Career Corner!
If you’re interested in pursuing a career in treasury, check out the The Treasury Recruitment Company, where you can search and apply for your perfect treasury job!
For more information and to explore other episodes go to treasurycareercorner.com