I’m thrilled to introduce you all to my special guest on this episode of the Treasury Career Corner podcast, Eddie Trahearn, Director of Treasury at Belmont Green Finance Limited. Based in Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey, Belmont Green Finance Limited is a team of experienced mortgage professionals who created Vida Homeloans, a new residential and buy to let mortgage lender which has now distributed over £1bn its products exclusively via intermediaries.
Eddie has over 13 years of Treasury experience from trading through to implementation of Bank standard processes and controls. Initially at Alliance & Leicester through a short period of good times but then through the financial crisis, he formed an appetite for rapid change processes and implementation of process efficiencies. Eddie has recently been appointed to redesign and implement a Bank grade regulatory compliant treasury function as Belmont Green Finance look to diversify its funding structure and bring increased risk management capabilities across the enterprise.
My conversation with Eddie has been one of my favourites on the podcast. We talk about the details of his past and existing roles within treasury, and he offers a unique insight into what it takes to smash a treasury job interview. I highly recommend you tune into this episode if you’re interested in pursuing a career within treasury and you want to brush up on your interview skills!
On the podcast we discussed…
- A brief overview of Eddie’s career history and how he got into treasury
- Why treasury functions were once seen as profit centres in financial services
- The importance of having an open line of communication between the treasury department and other divisions of the organisation
- What qualities and skills Eddie looks for when recruiting
- Tips for building a high-performing treasury team
- The benefits of implementing systems within treasury
- Why every treasury department needs to employ highly skilled people who can think strategically to make very good risk management decisions
- The concept that to be a good treasurer, you need to be that “sponge” between the board, the executives and the rest of the team
- An insight into Eddie’s current role as Director of Treasury at Belmont Green Finance
- How qualifications can hinder your thinking process in a start-up environment
- The importance of having the right personality traits to succeed within treasury
- Advice for crafting the perfect CV
- Eddie talks about where he sees Treasury going in the future
- Eddie shares advice for anyone seeking a new job role in treasury
- Much more!
If you’d like to get in touch with Eddie, you can reach out to him via his LinkedIn profile.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show PLEASE GIVE US A RATING HERE