We’ve got another exciting episode of the Treasury Career Corner Podcast ready for you to dive into and in this episode, I’m delighted to be joined by Ian Chisholm, Vice President Corporate Finance at BHP Billiton.
BHP is a world-leading resources company with global headquarters in Melbourne, Australia. They extract and process minerals, oil and gas, with more than 62,000 employees and contractors, primarily in Australia and the Americas.
Ian is a Treasury & Corporate Finance Leader with strategic and operational experience in global multinationals. He is responsible for all BHP financing activity and management of the $30bln debt portfolio, development of corporate financial strategy, management of bank and credit rating agency relationships.
Prior to moving to BHP Billiton in June 2016, Ian worked at Royal Dutch Shell for over 26 years, predominantly in the treasury function. Ian is a qualified Management Accountant (ACMA) and Corporate Treasurer (FCT) and is currently President of the ACT.
On the podcast we discussed…
- Ian’s background from Cambridge University to starting a Finance Graduate Training Scheme at Shell
- How Ian’s treasury career has progressed during his 26 years at Shell
- Ian talks about his approach to leadership and building a shared vision
- Why the role of a leader is to articulate the strategy and develop and empower the team to deliver it
- How technology changes have helped improve communication efficiency within a treasury environment
- The evolution of treasury systems and tools
- Ian describes the “perfect treasury candidate” including what personal qualities stand out the most to him when recruiting staff for his team
- Understanding that treasury doesn’t exist in isolation but as a service to the business
- Ian reveals what made him move from Shell to BHP after such a long period of time
- The importance of professional training and qualifications to pursue a successful career within the treasury industry
- Ian shares career advice and talks about the important qualities you need to have if you want to climb the treasury career ladder
- Much, much more!
If you would like to get in touch with Ian, you can connect with him on LinkedIn.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show please rate and review us on whatever podcast app you listen to us on, for iTunes click here!