Do you want to take your treasury career to new heights? If so, this is the episode for you! We went back into our archive to bring you one of our all-time favourite episodes of the podcast featuring VP and Treasurer of Dow Inc., Gary McGuire.
Gary leads a global team of over 100 treasury professionals managing all aspects of Dow’s finances which include Funding, Operations, Planning, Customer Financial Services, Insurance, Pension, Financial Risk Management, Compliance, Corporate Real Estate, and Enterprise Wide Risk Management.
Gary joined Dow Canada in 1988 as a Materials Management Analyst in Sarnia, Ontario and later moved to Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. He held several positions in Materials Management before joining the Treasury group of Dow Canada in Sarnia, Ontario. Gary is President and CEO of Liana Limited and Dorinco Reinsurance Company (a wholly owned subsidiary of Dow), in addition to serving on the boards of both companies. He is chairman of Dow’s Investment Committee, and also a member of the Liana Finance Committee and Dow’s Benefits Governance Finance Committee (BGFC).
As you can see, Gary has accomplished many great things throughout his career and openly shares his experiences and tips with us on The Treasury Career Corner podcast.
If you want to keep climbing the treasury career ladder, Gary’s words of wisdom will help you get there!
On the podcast Gary McGuire and I discussed…
- How Gary first got started in treasury
- How Gary progressed up the career ladder to his current VP position
- Important lessons from Gary’s time away from Dow
- A look at how to integrate pension into treasury
- How Gary’s responsibilities grew the further he climbed up the career ladder
- Possible challenges treasurers face in similar companies to Dow
- Gary shares his predictions for the future of treasury
- The importance of leveraging bank relationships
- How to stand out from other candidates seeking the same treasury roles as you
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Treasury?
Whether you’ve recently graduated, or you want to search for new job opportunities to help develop your treasury career, The Treasury Recruitment Company can help you in your search for the perfect job. Find out more here. Or, send us your CV and let us help you in your next career move!
If you’re enjoying the show please rate and review us on whatever podcast app you listen to us on, for Apple Podcasts click here!